Categories disappereared

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
ptoye

Categories disappereared

Post by ptoye » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:56 am

I've been having some hardware problems (blue-screenings etc.). After one of them, VueMinder Lite started up and then stopped. There was then a BSOD.

On restarting, VM started OK, but the categories that I'd set up had disappeared, and the display font was bigger. I tried restoring from a previous backup, but got a message something like "cannot find central directory" (sorry, I didn't write it down - was already hassled enough). The category list has completely disappeared - even the defaults aren't there.

How do I get the categories and my preferred font back, please? The last auto-backup before the BSOD has now been purged, but I can recover it from my disk backup if it would be useful.
Peter

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Categories disappereared

Post by VueSoft » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:43 pm

Hi Peter, it sounds like your categories data file has become corrupted. You might need to restore from an older backup to recover the data.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

ptoye

Re: Categories disappeared

Post by ptoye » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:29 am

I've restored categories.xml from a backup, and the colours and font have reappeared. But the categories list at the left of the screen is empty (see Vueminder1.png). But when I make a new entry there's a perfectly good categories list (see Vueminder2.png), so I suspect all is not well yet.

Oh dear, I can't upload the file with the zips: Could not upload attachment to ./files/957_b0301ec2e90a3df079dbe54feba87c35 so no screenshots!
Peter

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:36 am

Hi Peter, are you using the latest version (10.1.8)? If not, please use the "Check for Updates" command to update. I think that might fix the problem. If not, please send the screenshot to support@vueminder.com.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

ptoye

Post by ptoye » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:43 am

No, I'm still on 10.1.7 as the upgrade didn't appear until after I started having problems - didn't want to confuse the issue. I'll upgrade now and see if it makes any difference and report back.

[Later] Nope - still no categories!

[Even later] Should also mention that I don't have any priorities or locations either.
Peter

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi Peter, I believe there’s an installation problem, possibly caused by the hardware and BSOD errors you had earlier.

Please use the Control Panel to uninstall VueMinder. If you get an error (due to a corrupted registry), you can use the tool linked below to uninstall VueMinder. This won't remove any data.
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Progr ... _Uninstall

After uninstalling, use the link below to reinstall:
http://www.vueminder.com/index.php?page=download

Does that fix it?
Dan Chartrand, Founder

ptoye

Post by ptoye » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:21 am

Can you please tell me if I have to take any measures to avoid losing my calendar? I rely on it.
Peter

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:05 am

Reinstalling shouldn't affect your data. However, you can use the "Backup Data" command on the File menu to generate a backup file. Save the backup to your desktop or somewhere that will be easy for you to find in case your data is lost.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

ptoye

Post by ptoye » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:08 pm

Interesting. I uninstalled and reinstalled from the link. The categories, locations etc. came back when it started up, but very few of my calendar entries - only the bank holidays and none of my personal calendar. I exited VM completely and restarted. Now I have the calendar but not the categories etc.

I'll try a complete machine reboot, but of course I have to finish this forum session.

[Later] The reboot didn't change anything. I'd guess that importing the backed-up version of the calendar wouldn't change anything, as this didn't display the categories either.
Peter

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:07 am

Hi Peter, I'm not sure what is causing the problem. Could you send a copy of your backup file to support@vueminder.com, so I can determine why the categories aren't appearing? All data will be kept private and removed as soon as I'm finished.
Dan Chartrand, Founder