Calendar category assignment

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Zebo777

Calendar category assignment

Post by Zebo777 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:14 pm

When I add the Canadian Holidays and the US Holidays public calendars, they both get assigned automatically to the "Holidays" category. This means that both have the same appearance in the Category view. When editing the calendar I cannot change the category. Is it possible to alter/assign each calendar to a different category?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Calendar category assignment

Post by VueSoft » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:51 pm

Hi Zebo777, welcome to the forums. If you're using the Pro or Ultimate version, follow these steps:

1. Export the Canadian Holidays or US Holidays calendar (whichever one you want to categorize) to an Excel spreadsheet by using the "Export -> Events" command on the File menu. You might need to adjust the date range of the exported events.

2. After exporting, delete the calendar from VueMinder by right-clicking the calendar's name and selecting "Delete Calendar" from the popup menu.

3. In the exported spreadsheet, you should see a column named "Category". Replace "Holidays" with whatever category name you want. Save the spreadsheet when finished.

4. In VueMinder, click the "Import -> Events" command on the File menu. Import the spreadsheet from Excel. After importing, you'll see the events are assigned to the desired category.

The technique described above is also an easy way to make other types of bulk changes.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Zebo777

Post by Zebo777 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:10 am

Hi Dan.
Your method works up to a point. However, not all events get exported/imported properly.

Here is what happens:
- All events are exported in dd/mm/yyyy format.
- All events with dd greater than 12 are imported properly.
- All events with dd equal to 12 and below are treated as mm/dd/yyyy and imported into the wrong date.

Is there a way around this? Is this a bug?

In any case, for future releases you may consider allowing to change the Calendar category.

Regards.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:40 pm

Hi Zebo777, thank you for the information. I don't see the date format problem when importing/exporting. I'm guessing there's a regional format mismatch problem with Excel and your location.

I'll improve the calendar right-click menu to include a "Categorize Calendar" command, for categorizing all events associated with a calendar. Thank you for the suggestion!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Zebo777

Post by Zebo777 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:13 am

Hello again.
FYI. I found a couple of ways to achieve what I was looking for:

1. You can simply unsubscribe from a "Public Calendar" and then "Categorize" it. You are then also free to add remove events in that calendar.

2. You can delete the "Holidays" category. This will default the "category appearance" to the calendar's appearance and will keep you subscribed to the calendar.

Also, I think that I saw somewhere an option to set the event appearance to that of the Calendar appearance. But I cannot locate it again.

Thank You.