[SOLVED] Automatic Sync with Google Calendar doesn't work

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
VMUser

[SOLVED] Automatic Sync with Google Calendar doesn't work

Post by VMUser » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:32 am

Your help file says:
Sync Automatically
When this box is checked, the calendar will sync automatically, within 20 seconds of any changes made in VueMinder or Google Calendar.
But it doesn't work (mostly). It seems that it works only if on the same computer I'm logged in with my internet browser to that Google account. On other machines it never syncs – only manually syncing works.

Unfortunately there is no setup possibility in VueMinder to sync every ... minutes.
Last edited by VMUser on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Automatic Sync with Google Calendar doesn't work

Post by VueSoft » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:06 pm

If you make a change on one computer, it can take up to 30 seconds for the change to upload to Google Calendar. After the change is uploaded, it can take an additional 30 seconds for the change to appear on the other computers. Worst case, there'd be a delay of 60 seconds between the time a change is made on one computer until the change appears on other computers. I'm guessing that you aren't waiting that long and commanding it to manually sync instead.

If that doesn't explain it, then I don't know why it's not syncing automatically for you. Maybe Google's servers work differently in your country. Where I'm at, it works correctly.

Also, it's possible VueMinder is having trouble connecting to the internet time server specified in the Calendar Options. Try picking a different time server or manually sync your computer clocks to keep them set to exactly the same time. That might help.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

VMUser

Post by VMUser » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:24 pm

VueSoft wrote:If you make a change on one computer, it can take up to 30 seconds for the change to upload to Google Calendar. After the change is uploaded, it can take an additional 30 seconds for the change to appear on the other computers. Worst case, there'd be a delay of 60 seconds between the time a change is made on one computer until the change appears on other computers. I'm guessing that you aren't waiting that long and commanding it to manually sync instead.
No, I waited for hours.
VueSoft wrote:Also, it's possible VueMinder is having trouble connecting to the internet time server specified in the Calendar Options. Try picking a different time server or manually sync your computer clocks to keep them set to exactly the same time. That might help.
It seems that this was the cause. I changed the time server on both VueMinders to "ptbtime1.ptb.de" and now it works. :)

Maybe the setting of the time server causes many other issues I have. Correct setting of the time server on all VueMinder installations seems to be very important – I didn't know that. :mrgreen:

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:25 pm

VueMinder uses the time server for time-stamping all changes. It's possible the problems you've been seeing all stem from VueMinder being unable to get an accurate time-stamp. These time-stamps are used for syncing with Google Calendar, publishing/subscribing ICS files, etc.

I'll improve the initial configuration wizard to allow selection of a time server and to verify the time server can be reached. A lot of weird syncing problems can happen if the computer's local clock is slightly off and VueMinder is unable to get the correct time from a time server.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VMUser

Post by VMUser » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:09 am

VueSoft wrote:I'll improve the initial configuration wizard to allow selection of a time server and to verify the time server can be reached. A lot of weird syncing problems can happen if the computer's local clock is slightly off and VueMinder is unable to get the correct time from a time server.
What happens if the time server is not available during syncing?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: [SOLVED] Automatic Sync with Google Calendar doesn't wor

Post by VueSoft » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:51 pm

If the time server isn't available and if it hasn't been reachable since VueMinder was first started, VueMinder will default to using the local computer's clock time for the time stamp. That's why it's importing to make sure your local system time is correct.

Usually, VueMinder will get the correct time from the internet time server, so you local computer clock could be hours, days, or years off and it wouldn't matter. Also, VueMinder only connects to the internet time server at most every 20 minutes. It caches the time offset from the most recent successful check. The local system time is only used if VueMinder was unable to ever connect to the time server during the current session.

There's always the chance that the time server could be down the whole time VueMinder has been running, in which case having an incorrect system time could play havoc with syncing.
Dan Chartrand, Founder