viewing category subsets ? ie. overlays

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
StevenAvery

viewing category subsets ? ie. overlays

Post by StevenAvery » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:43 pm

Hi,

Do we have the ability to see certain categories, locations, priorities as sub-calendars?

e.g. If I have a master calendar that has my internet radio shows listed, I may want to see that in an everything view, also when looking at the Category "Internet Radio". However it will only work to clutter my planned viewing of today's special events.

I see that a "Window Layout" can be saved? It is possible for that to include a selected subset relating to, most importantly,

1) Categories
2) Priorities
3) Location

In some circles, this would be considered a Calendar overlay feature.

Is it something we have, or have workarounds to mimic, or is coming down the pike?

Any help appreciated, I like VueMinder in many ways, I am just hoping this is available, in some versions.

Thanks !

Steven Avery
Bayside, NY

StevenAvery

Re: viewing category subsets ? ie. overlays

Post by StevenAvery » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:43 pm

Hi,

Well, I am on Pro 9.0.3

I notice that 9.1 says:
"additional options for overlaying and grouping calendars"

So that should be in the ballpark, as least to try. I do not know what I have in 9.0.3 that gets "additions".

Hopefully I can do the upgrade with the 9s without any difficulty, however I do not see a method to get the "last 9.x" update.

Steven

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:56 pm

Hi Steven, 9.0.3 is a really old version. The latest version is 10.1.7. The blog gives an overview of the new and improved features:
http://www.vueminder.com/index.php?page=blog

The feature you're seeing in the release notes is explained in more detail here:
http://www.vueminder.com/index.php?mact ... eturnid=61

I believe you're asking how to group calendars in the Calendar List. This can be accomplished by creating calendar groups. When you create a calendar, it can be dragged to the desired group. There's a checkbox next to the group name that can be used to show or filter all calendars associated with that group. The documentation linked below explains this in more detail:
http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... rlist.html

If you right-click the calendar list, you'll see a command named "New Calendar Group". Hopefully that's enough information to get you pointed in the right direction. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

StevenAvery

Post by StevenAvery » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi,

Ok, I found the upgrade info. $19.95 (after I nudge myself for just missing the lifetime when you had that back ages ok :) ). Very reasonable for an occasional upgrade for a calendar you use daily.

Let me just mention that architecturally there are two distinct ways to accomplish the same end. Grouping calendars, or making special "views" of category, etc withing one master calendar. I actually prefer the latter, the reason being that you can then enter all your data on one calendar.

So while I will probably find your method sufficient and reasonable, I would encourage you to consider the "save view" mode, although at this time I grant it might have a redundant aspect, since it is the inverse method of the calendar grouping idea already enabled. (That is, if I have the idea right from the description.)

Make sense ?

Steven

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:13 pm

Hi Steven, thank you for the feedback. FYI, there is a lifetime update option. The cost is $39.95 for the Pro version. This covers updates forever (including all major releases), instead of only 12 months. You can purchase lifetime updates here.

I'll consider your suggestion regarding more grouping options and will post a reply if this is implemented. Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA