Configuring email specs to send from contacts

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
grover

Configuring email specs to send from contacts

Post by grover » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:07 pm

For years I've used Thunderbird to receive email via Yahoo.com, so mail was kept on Yahoo for several weeks, but sent to my TBird right away, where I've had it sorted and kept as needed.
Now, with new Windows 8 I'm trying to use Yahoo only.. but nothing seems to work, whether configuring as of old, or any other config. Yahoo help says they have changed from SMTP to "outgoing.att.net" as of last year but will continue to honor the past smtp for those who are grandfathered. The old laptop WinXP works as usual with TBird, but with the new Dell desktop I'm trying to wean myself off TBird and use Yahoo mail full time.
Anyone have experience with this problem? None of my tries result in a successful trial email. :?:
John W.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Configuring email specs to send from contacts

Post by VueSoft » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:23 am

Hi John, have you compared the email settings in VueMinder on Windows 8 with the ones you have in VueMinder on your old laptop? Do the settings match exactly? If so, maybe the firewall or security software on your Windows 8 computer is blocking VueMinder from sending email.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

grover

Post by grover » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:40 pm

Thanks Dan. Oddly enough, though "test emails" did not succeed, I found that clicking an email address in Contacts actually did bring up Windows Mail, and I sent 2 messages this way. When received by Robert the "from" address and "To" read in this strange way below... do you know what the codes represent, and can they be configured away?

"Here's how it appeared when opened in my In box. There is probably an option setting to specify a "From" in the VueMinder settings."

Robert Wermuth
rwermuth@sprynet.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Feb 14, 2013 9:55 AM
To: "=?utf-8?Q?rwermuth@sprynet.com?="
Subject:

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:09 pm

Hi Robert, the Email Settings are used for sending automatic reminders.

When you click an email address on the Contact List, it's the same as clicking an email address in your web browser. Windows will step in to command your default email program (in your case, Windows Mail) to create a new email. The "From" and "To" values are filled in by Windows and your email program. VueMinder is out of the loop from the moment you click the email address.

All that being said, I don't know why your From and To values are getting the extra characters - but that's not something VueMinder is inserting. It has something to do with either Windows or Windows Mail. FYI, I use Outlook and I don't see this problem.

Can you try opening the Contact and then click the email button on the right side of the "Email address" field? Do you get the same behavior or does that work better? Also, try right-clicking the contact in the Contact List and select "New Email to Contact". Does that solve it?
Dan Chartrand, Founder

grover

Post by grover » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:03 pm

Thanks Dan, you're right. Clicking on the "send email" icon for the contact works just fine.
I've not yet tried to install VM on the old Toshiba laptop. It has Windows XP Service pack 3. However, the Windows update service won't update .NET for some reason, even though the Win icon tells me to run update. Can VueMinder be installed on such a machine, or should I first have the Geek Squad figure out how to get .Net working? Would it be best if I start a new thread on tech support on that?
grover John W.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:11 pm

Have you tried installing .NET 4.0 directly? That's probably all the Geek Squad would do (after charging you an arm and a leg). You can download it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=17851

I'd try that first before taking it in for service.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

grover

Post by grover » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Thanks again Dan,
I have a year of Geek Squad service, and they worked 2 hours on line to get .NET installed. Now I've installed VueMinder on the old Toshiba laptop, along with it on my Dell desktop.
NOW then.. the laptop wireless has not worked in years, so it is connected to broadband thru a 1304 cable to the ATT U-Verse modem.
Next question... can the VM contacts and events on the Dell (wireless) be sync-ed with the laptop wired ??
Is there configuration that would need to be done, with the "Share to local network" and/or the "Sync calendar"??

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:10 pm

Currently, the only way to sync contacts automatically would be to use VueMinder Ultimate and install VueMinder Server on one of your computers.

You can manually sync contacts by exporting from one computer via the "Export -> Contacts" command on the File menu. On the other computer, use the "Import -> Contacts" command on the File menu.
Dan Chartrand, Founder