Unable to complete recurring events

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
GreatLakes

Unable to complete recurring events

Post by GreatLakes » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:37 pm

Dear Dan,

I have a recurring event set up with an ending date. All the recurring events have already occurred. When I try to check the complete box from the event list or from the menu after right click, the event will not complete. It remains uncompleted.

This seems to only occur for recurring events. I have not locked this event.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Unable to complete recurring events

Post by VueSoft » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:27 pm

Hi GreatLakes, thank you for the feedback. I've been unable to duplicate this problem. Does this happen for all your recurring events or one in particular? Is the associated calendar read-only?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

GreatLakes

Post by GreatLakes » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:53 pm

I will work on it to narrow it down. I have tried many times in next day or two I will try to isolate the specific conditions that makes this happen.

GreatLakes

Post by GreatLakes » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:39 am

Hi Dan,

I will have to work on it some more. It seems there is something strange in the event editor recurrence pattern. I tried to move to recurring pattern and enter the pattern and it let me, but I had not checked the recurring event checkbox above it. I would have thought that if you entered a pattern than you would have to mark the recurring event checkbox but apparently not.

When you mark the recurring event checkbox, the the "completed" box disappears in the event editor window. How do you then, from the event editor, mark a recurring item as completed if the box disappears. Could this have something to do with it?

I also was able to have no day marked in the weekly recurrence pattern and the system let me do this and save and close. Something is odd but I can't pinpoint it. How do you mark complete a weekly recurring event from the event editor window?

GreatLakes

Post by GreatLakes » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:06 pm

Hi Dan,

I sort of kind of duplicated problem. If I set up a recurring event, for example one the occurs once a week for three weeks and mark the box recurring event, the complete box on the event editor disappears.

When I move to the event list and try to mark it complete it doesn't work. But if I return to the first occurrence of a recurring event and unmark the recurring event box, the complete checkbox appears. If I mark this box "complete" then this occurrence is completed but I didn't test what happens to the rest of the series. It is clear when I mark the recurring event box, I can not complete and this coincides with disappearance of complete box.

Maybe this will help.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:38 am

Hi GreatLakes, can you confirm when you open an occurrence, you're selecting "Open this occurrence only" from the popup message? The "Completed" checkbox is only available in the event editor for occurrences, not for a whole series. The reason is that it doesn't make sense to mark a whole series as completed, only the individual occurrences that make up the series.

You probably have the Event List configured to show all dates. This shows the first instance of a recurring event (as the master series), any variations, and the next occurrence starting from today's date. The first instance shown is actually for the entire series - not the first individual occurrence. When you mark the first instance as completed, it creates a variation on the series start date. The variation is completed and added to the list. The first row continues to be for the entire series. My guess is that you are hiding completed events, so checking the completion box in the Event List doesn't appear to do anything.

I'd recommend any of the following:
1. On the View menu, click "Show Completed Events".
2. For the date range in the Event List, pick something other than "All dates", which can be confusing for recurring events.
3. When opening an event occurrence that you want to mark as completed, open it from the Month view and make sure to pick "This occurrence only".
Dan Chartrand, Founder

GreatLakes

Post by GreatLakes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:17 am

Thanks Dan,

I will try what you suggest tomorrow and let you know what happens.

GreatLakes

Post by GreatLakes » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:12 am

Hi Dan,

I worked with my recurring events and your explanation helped me to understand how recurring events work. I believe that part of my problem was not exactly understanding how recurring events work. Now I have a better idea and I can complete recurring events.

I think that perhaps the instructions in documentation explaining recurring events could be supplemented with your detailed explanation given above. That would help.

My understanding is that there is a base recurring event created for a whole series and this base event cannot be completed because that would make no sense. Only the subsequent occurrences may be completed. I think that it would be clearer if the base event had maybe some note that this was the base occurrence, or maybe the occurrence number for the base is set to #0 or something more identifiable. So the base is #0, not able to be completed, and each occurrence after that increments by 1. Or maybe the base amount could not have the completed box disappear in the event editor but rather be grayed out with word such as "base event" not able to be completed. I don't want to make it more complicated but some visual signal might help.

I have recurring events and the occurrence number shows in the view but other times the occurrence number is not visible but is viewable in the tooltip. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks again for your support.

Boopsie200

Post by Boopsie200 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:01 pm

I have the same problem. I don't see the little box for checking "complete" on my recurring events. Yes, I most definitely am opening only the current occurrence! Something must have happened with the latest update; I had been checking events completed until very recently.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:32 pm

Hi Boopsie200, the missing Corrected box has been fixed for the next version. I apologize for the inconvenience and will post a reply when the next version is available. In the meantime, you can mark an event as completed by right-clicking the event in the Day, Week, or Month view and selecting “Completed” from the popup menu.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder