Taking Ownership

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Bazza

Taking Ownership

Post by Bazza » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:07 am

We have a shared calendar on the system that is "owned" by someone who is no longer with us.

It would be useful and time saving if we could rename and personalise the calendar and its future events and tasks so that our new member can simply carry on with the planned tasks and events.

Unfortunately, it seems, that no one other than the original owner has been left with the authority to undertake this.

Is there a work around or a way to simply clone the original calendar to a new owner and delete the original?

Obviously as a long term solution it would appear that it would be highly useful for Vueminder to include a "superuser account" that might be used by an administrator to adminster any calendar created within the system if need be.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Taking Ownership

Post by VueSoft » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:33 pm

Hi Bazza, welcome to the forums. I've added your suggestion to my to-do list and will post a reply when it's completed.

In the meantime, the calendar owner can be changed, but it requires some effort. Here's how...

1. Export the calendar to an ICS file using the “Export Events” command on the File menu. Make sure to check the options to export reminders and event colors.

2. After exporting the calendar, log into Windows as the previous calendar owner. I'm assuming you have an admin or someone that can reset the user password so you can log into their account. Right-click the calendar name in the list of calendars and select “Delete Calendar”.

3. A message will appear stating the calendar is also shared and asking if you want to remove it from the server. Click Yes.

4. On the new user's account, click the “Import Events” command on the File menu to import the file that was exported in step 1.

5. After importing the calendar, right-click its name and select “Share Calendar -> Share to Local Network” to re-enable sharing.

6. On the other computers, delete the previously shared calendar and then re-add it by using the “Add Shared Calendar” command on the File menu.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Bazza

Re: Taking Ownership

Post by Bazza » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:55 am

Thanks a lot for the help!