Category color problem

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
nate02pa

Category color problem

Post by nate02pa » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:35 pm

I am having a problem with category colors. :(

A little history. Yesterday I installed VueMinder on my desktop backup computer in its Windows 8 partition. I did not have a registered download file for Ver 10.1.0 so I used the trial version. When I synced the newly installed version to my main system calendar, most of the category colors were lost. I had this problem with Ver 9.3.1 but was told that it had been corrected with Ver 10. Evidently it hasn't.

Even after following the instructions I had received on fixing this problem, I could not get the colors to work properly. Copying the backup of the categories.xml file did not work. Starting Vue Minder after doing this immediately overwrote the categories.xml file wiping out most of the colors and reverting them to black text on a white background. A few categories retained the old colors - I don't know why.

I finally was able to restore the old colors by running VueMinder on my desktop backup
Windows 7 partition, changing the category colors there, copying the categories.xml file onto the main system, and restarting VueMinder on the main system. Today, I wanted to change the colors of one category and the same thing happened - the new colors did not stick and the old colors returned.

I did not have this problem before running the sync.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Category color problem

Post by VueSoft » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:01 am

Hi nate02pa, welcome to the forums. I believe I've found what is causing the problem. A correction has been made for the next version. I'll post a reply when it's ready to download.

In the meantime, instead of unchecking the "Share category, location, and priority appearances" option (in the Sharing Options) - try checking it. You should see some improvement after enabling that option.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

nate02pa

Post by nate02pa » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:46 am

So far, the change you suggested is working.

I do have another question, though. When sharing over a local network, should category color sharing be turned on on all the computers or just the one with the master calendar (the calendar on the server computer)?

nikkil

Post by nikkil » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:19 pm

I think you just need to enable once, perhaps on the server side. You can always try and test this yourself. My bet is on by enabling it on the server side.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:33 am

Hi nate02pa, in order for all computers to correctly sync the category colors, you'll need to enable sharing of category colors on each computer (not just on the one that is acting as the server).
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:00 pm

Version 10.1.1 has been released. This version fixes the case where the option to share colors is disabled. Previously, when this option was disabled, local color changes would get overwritten by the server. To update, click the "Check for Updates" command on the Help menu.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

alicerobert

Post by alicerobert » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:16 am

Thank you ... I like this forum very much because it is very informative ...
alice ---