Outlook Exchange Server Office

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
rkg82

Outlook Exchange Server Office

Post by rkg82 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:05 pm

Our firm has decided to switch from Sogo web-based calendar sharing to Microsoft Exchange-based calendar sharing, but running on Microsoft's cloud-based version of Exchange server (Office 356):
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/office36 ... plans.aspx

Although I can see how to connect to an Exchange server running on our local network, I haven't found a way to connect to the cloud version. The Vueminder "Add Microsoft Exchange server calendar" dialog box does not appear to be suitable for this. Is such a connection in fact possible?

I'm using Vueminder Ultimate v 10.0.1 on Windows 7 PRo 64 bits.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Outlook Exchange Server Office

Post by VueSoft » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:11 am

Hi rkg82, it should work. At least, I've verified it works when using a Rackspace hosted (cloud) Exchange Server account. I haven't tried Microsoft Office 365 yet. Do you know which plan your firm is using? Is it Exchange Online, P1, E1, or E3? I'll sign up for the same plan and will let you know which settings are needed in VueMinder to get it to work.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

rkg82

Post by rkg82 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:07 pm

Greetings Dan,
We use Microsoft Office 365 plan E3. This includes calendar sharing and publishing.

I have found a workaround: I can publish the Outlook Exchange calendar as an ics file, and use the Vueminder "Add calendar subscription" command to display the calendar in Vueminder This is not ideal, because it gives me read-only access, but better than nothing.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:58 pm

Hi rkg82, I've confirmed VueMinder can sync with Microsoft Office 365. It was actually very easy to setup. Here's how:

1. Click the "Add Microsoft Exchange Calendar" command on the File menu

2. Enter your mailbox name (i.e., your email address).

3. Since the server is hosted and not a server in your local domain, uncheck the "Use default login credentials" box.

4. For the username, enter your email address again.

5. Enter the password you use to login to Microsoft Office 365. The domain name can be left blank. Here's what the connection window should look like, replacing my email address with your own:

6. Click the "Connect" button.

7. Wait a few seconds for it to connect. In my case, the connection happened without any problem. If you get a connection error, check your firewall settings. If your company uses a proxy server, make sure to enter the proxy settings via the Options menu.

8. Pick the calendar you'd like to add and then click the "Add Calendar" button. It might take several minutes for the initial sync to complete. The status bar will show progress. After the first sync finishes, subsequent syncs will be MUCH faster - usually less than a second.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

rkg82

Post by rkg82 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:10 pm

Greetings and thanks Dan,
I confirm that your procedure does the trick.
It does indeed take some time for the first synchronization, but after that it is very quick, as you say.