Slow pasting - drawing of windows - when creating a new event or opening an existing one

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
JustSomeVMUser

Slow pasting - drawing of windows - when creating a new event or opening an existing one

Post by JustSomeVMUser » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:20 pm

EDIT: Solved - by resetting Nvidia settings; see below.

Things that did not help:

* reinstalling Vueminder;
* archiving some old events;
* using Microsoft's dotnet repair tools (or at least the last time I tried this - to fix the same problem - it did not help; something did make the problem go away for a while, but I am unsure what it was, and now the problem is back);
* using what is probably the best defragger ('myDefrag') on the drive that has my VueMinder data (which is a modern, premium, but spinning HD)
keeping my system generally in fairly tip-top condition - and it's generally not under much load.

System details
VueMinder Pro 2020.02
Windows 10 build 1909
Nvidia GT 1030, driver v. 441.87
16GB RAM
Main drive: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB (SATA III (SSD))
Data drive, which VueMinder is on: Western Digital WDC WD1003FZEX-00K3CA0 (SATA III)
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770S @ 3.10GHz

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited.
Last edited by JustSomeVMUser on Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Slow pasting - drawing of windows - when creating a new event or opening an existing one

Post by VueSoft » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:05 am

I apologize for the problem. It's not clear to me what is causing the performance issues you're seeing on your computer, since I'm not seeing these issues on my test computers.

If the problem went away and then came back, my guess is something else changed on your system - possibly an updated antivirus program or firewall, which might be interfering with VueMinder and causing performance issues. You might be able to solve the issue by adding an exception. Also, check Task Manager to see if any other programs are using up your CPU and possibly slowing down VueMinder.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

JustSomeVMUser

Re: Slow pasting - drawing of windows - when creating a new event or opening an existing one

Post by JustSomeVMUser » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:59 am

Thanks, Dan.

As to your suggestions: disabling the firewall did not help; I've excluded the data folder, and Vueminder.exe, from Windows Defender, already; I've used various tools to see what is going on when the slow painting is happening, and I did not find anything . . except that - aha! Just now I have found something. For, prompted by noting a 5% GPU spike when performing the slow actions, I discovered the following. Creating an Nvidia profile for VueMinder and, in that profile, setting the 'Low Latency Mode' to 'on', and then restarting Vueminder, solved the problem! So that is something for you to look into and at the least add a release note about.

Edited.

JustSomeVMUser

Post by JustSomeVMUser » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:48 am

A further update: I found that restoring my Nvidia settings to their defaults - which leaves the 'low latency' setting as 'off' - also fixes the problem. So it seems that I caused the problem by changing settings. I am unsure which setting(s) caused the problem initially, but we do have these results: at least in my case creating a profile for Vueminder and setting 'low latency' off solved the problem, as did merely resetting all Nvidia settings to default (and not creating a profile for Vueminder).

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:12 pm

Thanks for the information. I'll keep this in mind in case anyone else reports the same behavior.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

JustSomeVMUser

Post by JustSomeVMUser » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:50 pm

Thanks, Dan.

Sadly, though, the problem has now started to re-occur, even when that Nvida setting is set to off (and even when I have that setting set to off globally and have no VueMinder Nvidia profile). And at present I can find no Nvidia setting that solves the problem. However, I find there is a video driver update (to version 442.19) available; I will try that. But . . no, it didn't help. And the cause still seems to be a big GPU spike.

I tried reinstalling VueMinder but I get this problem (which I think I reported to you already):

EDIT: Oh, the installation problem is the one at issue here, with Ramdisks. Moving the temp files off the ramdisk fixes the installation problem - but not the painting problem.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:19 pm

Thank you for the information. I'm still not sure what's causing the problem you're seeing. I don't have an Nvidia GT 1030 video card to test with, but I do have a GeForce GTX 1060. In my testing, I'm seeing GPU usage between 0% and 0.1%. The 0.1% happens when scrolling the Month view quickly. I've tried a lot of other things, but I can't get the GPU usage to increase beyond 0.1%. I'm using an older driver, version 432.00. You might try installing that version to see if there's any improvement.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

JustSomeVMUser

Post by JustSomeVMUser » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:38 pm

Thanks for your work Dan. The downgrade - I tried it, with a couple of versions - did not work. Perhaps when I am able - which will be in six weeks - I will remove the Nvidia driver, running a driver purge utility, and then reinstall (an older version?) and see whether that works. That Nvidia seems to have renamed some of the relevant options recently, and makes it a right pain to install older drivers - those things do not help.